Wednesday, November 4, 2009

That WAS It!

It's 2:30am right now. I should REALLY be packing now, because I have to be up at 7:30am and have a lot to do before my flight to Dublin tomorrow night. However, I just saw an incredible movie and must write a short review of it...



I wasn't sure how This Is It would be publicized over here, because it's another country. However, I saw these posters up all over Barcelona ever since the movie came out last week. I waited VERY patiently all week to see it tonight. After reviews online, it seemed to get great reviews, overall. Most of the negative ones had to do with people complaining about it not being a documentary about the entertainer's life. This was supposed to be a film that showed his preparation for his comeback show, not a biography on his life.

Josh and I were frantically looking for the theater and got lost, which resulted in us missing the first 15 minutes. We walked in and it didn't seem that we missed much. Overall, this movie was incredible. Yes, I'm a huge fan, so I guess you can say I'm somewhat biased. Still, for a 50 year old, Michael has incredible energy and moves/sings as if he was back in his younger years. Plus, this wasn't even the final product! He was always known to be a perfectionist and he is still flawless in this movie. With every song, Michael Jackson had a big screen projection of some sort to accompany the song. After thinking about it, this makes complete sense. Not only was he an amazing entertainer, but he is extremely well-know for his classic music videos. The screen wasn't necessary, but for Michael Jackson, it was definitely ideal. I am shocked at how humble he is throughout the entire film. He always thanks and praises his dancers, without any attitude. I mean, he is Michael Jackson and he knew it. Still, at the end of the day, he knew that everyone was just as important to putting the entire show together.

Another amazing part is how well he knows all of his songs. He would critique aspects of each song, which prove how much his music means to him. From tempos of songs to lighting on the stage, it is clear this is not new to Michael Jackson. The idea of making Thriller in 3-D was incredible and looked like it was going to be real cool. Billie Jean was a flawless performance and he was moving just as well as he did back during Motown 25. The ending song, Man in the Mirror, is the one that gave me goosebumps. It's such a great song with a powerful meaning. At the end of the movie, everyone got up and clapped. It was a memory I will never forget. The impact he had on people all over the world is a one in a million opportunity.

Throughout the film, MJ does look incredibly thin. He also never shows his legs or arms. Some of the critiques voiced their concern with the movie not being completely honest, in terms of the state he was in during rehearsals. While this is true, who would pay to see a movie that showcased his struggles and declining health? I was glad to see him at his best. This concert looked like it was going to be the comeback of all comebacks. Now that he has passed, it's hard to say how successful his show would've been. Still, after seeing the movie, I'm convinced this concert would've been a reminder to the world why he is known as the King of Pop.

All in all, great movie! Personally, I think it does a great job of showing how he really acted around others. I would've loved to meet him. For being an international superstar, he seemed very down-to-earth. Go see it if you haven't! I will be waiting for the DVD release, for sure.

Now, I'm off to Dublin for the weekend...with two giant midterms waiting for me on Monday. Wonderful. Here's to a good weekend, more updates on Monday, and hopefully A's on those exams. Take care everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Heyy MR EURO don't be slackin! The pics on facebook are a riot. Love the food shots and scenery. Don't be slippin SIR! Looking forward to seeing a new update.

    late,
    ah

    ReplyDelete